|The Dead King|
|First Appearance:||Atlantis Chronicles #5 (1990)|
|Created by:||Peter David|
In Pre-New 52 continuity, Atlan is a Homo Magi (an offshoot of homo sapiens capable of manipulating magical forces) from Atlantis and the father of Aquaman, Ocean Master and Deep Blue. In the DCnU, Atlan is the Dead King of Atlantis who was over thrown by Orin the First, making Atlan the true King.
Atlan kidnaps Aqualad, taking him to his home dimension to teach him the secrets of his mystical heritage. There, three or four years pass though far less time passes in Aqualad's home dimension. He returns, much more powerful, and takes on the name of Tempest.
Atlan assists in the defeat of Rhombus, a villain who desires to harm Deep Blue. Later, after asserting her genetic heritage, Atlan seemingly takes Deep Blue to another dimension.
The Dead King was once Atlan the Greatest King of Atlantis. He was betrayed by his brother Orin and by his people. They killed his wife and children and he and his loyalists were hunted. Within that time he forged the Six Artifacts of Atlantis with his Arcane knowledge. He returned years later and without uttering a single word, killed his brother and his queen and as Atlantis was plunged into a civil war he finally spoke after years of silence, "Let it all...die" and using his great strength sunk the great nation he had spent his lifetime building.
The Dead King awakened in Antarctica, when Aquaman used his telepathy on a global scale, claiming that Aquaman is mistaken to thing he is the king of Atlantis. He proceeded to destroy a research station and kill it's personel. After that he found Mera and took her to Xebel, a pocket dimension hidden in the Bermuda Triangle and used as an ancient Atlatnean prison. Aquaman then traveled to Xebel to free Mera but was shocked to hear that his ancestors murdered the Dead King's family and usurped the throne. After a brutal fight, Aquaman freed Mera and the rest of the citizens of Xebel but they sided with the Dead King recognizing him as the true ruler of Atlantis, except for Mera. They managed to escape to Atlantis but found it being attacked by Scavenger's Fleet. During the battle, the Dead King and the Xebel colony arrive and Aquaman blacks out through straining himself too much in an attempt to control Topo.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Superhuman strength: The Dead King possesses vast superhuman strength, enough to hurt Aquaman and draw blood. He was also able to tear apart a huge ship with his bare hands.
- Superhuman Durability: He is extremely durable, able to shrug off a huge ship that Aquaman threw at him.
- Ice Control: The Dead King has control over ice that seems magical in nature. He can create huge columns of ice almost instantly, make piercing spikes strong enough to impale Aquaman and his armor, create very durable ice shields and conjure ice storms. He can also encase others in ice.
- Underwater Adaptation: He can function normally underwater and is able to withstand the high pressures and extreme temperatures of the deep.
- Leadership: He was the first and greatest king of Atlantis. Upon his revival he manages to immediately convert the Xebel colony to his side and he was also able to control and use the Trench.