The second Aqualad, Jackson Hyde, is a super-hero who grew up unaware of his true heritage as son of the infamous villain Black Manta and a Xebellian woman, Lucia. Raised by his mother, he learned of his powers of control water and embraced the life of a hero as "Aqualad" while fighting off his conflicted identity as a son of a super villain.
Teen Titans: The Rise of Aqualad
Aquaman: Manta vs Machine
Aquaman: Echoes of a Life Lived Well
Aquaman: The Becoming
- Atlantean Hybridized Physiology: Due to generations of living under the sea, Atlanteans have evolved greatly. Even hybrids are far superior to any other human.
- Amphibious Nature: Jackson discovered that he can breathe underwater indefinitely using his gills and even speak while submerged. Being born and having spent most of his life above the water, he is also adapted to prolonged periods without it.
- Enhanced Senses:
- Enhanced Vision: A thin invisible membrane cover Aqualad's eyes that allows Jackson to see perfectly in the pitch-blackness of the ocean. His eyes also allow him to pick up energy patterns in the water, similar to wearing infrared goggles. He displayed this ability when he tracked Superboy by following his solar energy pattern.
- Enhanced Hearing: Jackson's hearing is far greater than any human's.
- Superhuman Durability: He is adapted to survive the crushing depths of the ocean, where pressures up to 1086 pounds of force per square inch are applied.
- Superhuman Reflexes
- Superhuman Speed
- Superhuman Stamina
- Superhuman Strength: Jackson was strong enough to cleave through a steel street light with his water sword.
- Hydrokinesis: Jackson has the ability to control water by "speaking" to it mentally. He inherited it from his mother (It is unknown how she acquired these powers, as they are usually reserved for Xebelian royalty). He was mostly self-trained at shaping water and usually focuses it through his waterbearers to form weapons. He has still shown some impressive feats, such as constructing a giant spear to kill the sea beast guarding the Black Pearl or collapsing a tidal wave. He can also use it to divert incoming water, like protecting someone from rain or sealing an underwater hull-breach. He can even walk on water.
- Cryokinesis: Aqualad is able to turn water he controls to ice and melt it quickly.
- Electrokinesis: Jackson can emit bioelectric shocks from his body. He can also transmit them through his hydrokinetic constructs.
- Electro-Blast: Releasing his energy all at once creates a huge electric blast. With support from an external energy source he was once able to take out an entire army of Trench soldiers in one strike.
- Illuminating body marks: Jackson has dark/tattoo-like, arrow-shaped body marks on the outer side of both arms. Whenever he uses his hydro- or electrokinesis they light up and turn bright blue. However, they weren't (permanently) visible when his powers first manifested during childhood.
- Swimming: As an Atlantean swimming is as natural to Jackson as walking.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): Has been trained by Robin.
- Jackson's map necklace
- Waterbearers: Aqualad possesses a pair of waterbearers which were given to him by Robin. These hilts allow Jackson to possess more control on his hydrokinetic abilities. He often uses the hilts to channel water into the shape of a weapon, creating something like a water sword or mace. He was also given a tank-backpack, for missions where water isn't available.
- Although mistaken as tattoos, Jackson was born with the markings on his arm.
- Despite being half Xebellian, Jackson inherited their normal traits such as their big appetites and growth at twice the human rate.
- DC Comics Character Encyclopedia New Edition
- Teen Titans (2016) #11
- Teen Titans (2016) #6
- Aquaman (2016) #58